Reasons to hire a professional to replace your roof
Re-roofing your home is one of the most important aspects of a home renovation. A new, properly installed roof guarantees protection from rain, snow, ice and debris. It also boosts your property’s value and improves the energy efficiency of your home.
Despite the key role that a roof plays in protecting a home, many DIYers insist on attempting this project by themselves to save money. However, re-roofing is one of the most dangerous home improvement projects out there, and doing it improperly can lead to disastrous consequences. For these reasons, we strongly recommend that you leave your roof replacement in the hands of experienced roofing professionals.
These days, many homeowners are into DIY and try to take on many home improvement projects by themselves. However, when it comes to an aspect of your house as essential as your roof, we recommend that you work with a professional. Here are some reasons why:
- Professional, knowledgeable team: Roofing professionals have been in the industry for a long time and have experience with numerous kinds of roofing projects for various clients. This means they can deliver superb results without making any mistakes. They will make sure your roof stays safe and undamaged for many years to come. They will perform a new installation or repair using the best products and techniques.
- Quality materials: Roofing experts will also use quality materials, ensuring that their installation or repairs will last for a long time. Roofing professionals also know which materials are of the highest quality and which are most suitable for your roof. What’s more — they can buy these materials at wholesale costs.
- Quick turnaround: The best roofers often have very busy schedules, so you can be assured that they will work as efficiently as possible.
- Lasting results: Professional roofers do high-quality work meant to last for years to come and will back up this work with a warranty on both their labor and the materials they’ve used. This warranty will give you peace of mind because your roof will be protected regardless of what happens once the project is complete. If any problems with the roof occur within the warranty’s given time frame, a professional will examine it and resolve the issue at no extra cost to you.
- Cost-effectiveness: Having a roofing professional install or repair your roof is rather cost-effective. First of all, professional roofers will obtain their materials at a considerably lower cost than you can due to the long-term relationships they have with suppliers. Also, they already have all the tools they need to complete the project. If you calculate the costs required to purchase all the materials and tools yourself, you’ll realize that it will cost much more.
- Enhanced safety: Accidents regularly occur during roof work. For this reason, roofing professionals have invested considerable money in acquiring the appropriate safety gear to guarantee their safety at all times. It makes much more sense to hire a professional who already has all this safety equipment than buying safety gear that you may never use again.
- Protection from lawsuits: Most professional roofers are insured, meaning that you won’t be held liable if an injury occurs on your roof.
- Code: Chances are that you don’t spend a ton of time reading your city’s building codes and don’t check them regularly to make sure you haven’t missed anything. Professional roofers are very familiar with local building codes and stay up to date on any changes. If you install you roof yourself and end up violating a code, you may have to have it completely re-roofed before your
- home can be sold.
- Advice: Certified roofers can also offer further advice on how to maximize the performance of your roof. They know it’s their duty to make sure their customers are satisfied with the services they offer.
- Peace of mind: Hiring an experienced, licensed roofer is priceless for your peace of mind
Reasons you need a new roof
If you’re worried about the state of your roof, perhaps because it looks like it’s seen better days, or you think it won’t survive another winter, then perhaps it’s time to get a new roof fitted.
Here’s what to look out for.
1. Age of roof
Roofs are designed and installed to last a long time, but the effects of wind and rain, and other bad weather can shorten the life of a roof.
If you’ve never had your roof replaced, now might be a good time to get it examined by a professional.
2. Shingles buckled or curling
You might have noticed that some of the shingles have buckled or are curling. This is usually caused by the felt underlay getting wet and wrinkling.
3. Roof valleys
If you haven’t checked the state of your roof valleys recently, now might be a good time.
Roof valleys are the channels that run along the inside angles of a roof, and can corrode, especially if they trap leaves. Leaves and other trapped debris mean that rain water doesn’t drain properly, and so will soon overflow and drip on to your roof.
If your roof valleys are corroded, than there might be significant damage to your roof already.
4. Missing shingles
Missing shingles can mean that there are holes in your roof, which could be exposed to the elements and rotting.
It’s worth getting a professional in to have a look to see whether the missing shingles can be replaced or whether the whole roof needs to be replaced.
Whilst you might think you’re saving time, money and hassle by doing nothing, or trying to repair it yourself, it’s always worth getting advice from a professional.
5. Chimney flashing
Chimney flashing prevents water from entering your home, where the chimney meets the roof.
Damaged flashing can often be replaced, but the damage to your roof may already have been done.
It’s More Than 10 Years Old
It is a known fact that the older something is, the lower the quality of function. In the case of a roof, this is no exception. Roofs sit and protect the top exterior portion of your home and are used as a drainage system. They face all sorts of weather conditions, including rough rain, hail, and maybe even snow storms that over time wear down on the roof. This is why, if your roof is 10 years old or older, it may be time to call a professional.
It’s Been Damaged by Severe Weather
No matter where you live, your house faces severe weather every once in a while. Whether that is a rough winter full of heavy snow storms or hurricane winds and lots of rainfall, severe weather can take a major toll on your roof after time. It can cause damage to the look and overall function of your shingles, and can even aid the start of leaks. If your home has gone through quite a few severe storms over the last few months or years, it is probably time to call a professional company like Armor Shield to come assess the damage.
Bad Shingle Condition
Roof shingles should be rectangular or square in shape, with lots of granules on them. If you have noticed your shingles are missing granules or have what we call “bald spots”, then this is a problem. Additionally, if your shingles are misshapen, have cracks, or have dark streaks, it is time for a replacement. Shingles play a large role in your roof’s drainage system, so if they are not in the best condition to function properly, then you are increasing your chance of sprouting leaks.
A healthy roof protects your investment in your home
One of the largest investments people make is their home. Performing ongoing maintenance on your roof will help prolong it’s life, and by extension the life of your whole property. Roofs are a fundamental element to your home. It makes sense to see about maintaining it even before a full replacement is required. Because, this is a short cut to protecting your investment in your home all around.
No one wants to replace a roof early because of unforeseen damage. It’s a traditionally quite a costly undertaking, so it’s important to do what you need to extend its life with regular inspections. In some states, like Florida, homeowner’s insurance companies will refuse to extend a policy without an updated roof certificate stating the amount of life left on the roof.
Good Reasons to Consider Commercial Roof Restoration
When you are experiencing problems with your commercial roof, repair and replacement are not your only options. Restoration offers some attractive benefits that will allow you to cost-effectively gain more life from your existing – and still sound – roof. Consider the following 10 benefits of roof restoration before making the decision to replace your entire roof.
- Cost savings: Let’s face it—roof replacement is a major investment. The cost of labor and materials are substantial. While sometimes replacement is the best decision to make for long-term advantages, restoration – which requires less labor and materials – costs less than half of a total roof replacement. For example, depending on the roofing system selected, replacement costs between $18 and $22 per square feet, whereas restoration requires costs about $6 to $9 per square foot.
- Longer depreciation period: The federal government expects you to depreciate your roof over 39 years, so it is advantageous for you to extend the life of your roof, as long as you’re not looking at numerous additional repairs in the near future.
- Cool factor: “Cool roof” solutions, such as those available from Roberts Roofing Company, lower the temperature of your existing roof. Since some coatings are highly reflective, they can greatly increase solar reflectivity, which can significantly reduce interior coating costs. You can achieve significant savings on your HVAC costs.
- Multiple options: There are numerous, cost-effective restoration options available depending on your type of roofing system.